3-D Printing refers to ability to carry out additive manufacturing in 3-D space. SMIEL is extensively involved with 3-D printing of electronics and composites on conformal surfaces by using commercial and in-house-fabricated inks as well as developing the central thermo-fluidic and thermo-mechanical understanding involved in different 3D processes.
Collaborators: Dr. Dan Hines (LPS), Prof. Abhijit Dasgupta (Mechanical, UMD)
Involved Graduate Students (Present): Beihan Zhao, Vishal Sankar Sivasankar
Involved Postdocs (Present): Chenglin Yi
Involved Graduate Students (Past): Shayandev Sinha, Neil Dalal
Involved Postdocs (Past): Yuan Gu, Guang Chen
Thesis resulting from this topic: INFLUENCE OF GAS FLOW RATES ON TRACE QUALITY AND RELIABILITY IN A SELECTED CONDUCTOR INK PRINTED WITH AN AEROSOL JET PRINTER (MS Thesis of Mr. Neil Dalal)
Sponsors: LPS (DoD), NAWCAD (DoD), NextFlex, Harris Inc., Lockheed Martins, NCMS-AMMP
Related recent publications
- V. S. Sivasankar#, H. S. Sachar#, S. Sinha, D. R. Hines*, and S. Das*, “3D Printed Microdroplet Curing: Unravelling the Physics of On-spot Photopolymerization.” ACS Applied Polymer Materials, 2, 966-976 (2020).
- N. Dalal#, Y. Gu#, G. Chen#, D. R. Hines, A. Dasgupta, and S. Das, “Effects of Gas Flow Rates on Quality of Aerosol Jet Printed Traces with Nanoparticle Conducting Ink.” ASME Journal of Electronic Packaging, 142, 011012 (2020).
- B. Zhao#, Y. Wang#, S. Sinha#, C. Chen, D. Liu, A. Dasgupta, L. Hu, and S. Das*, “Shape-driven Arrest of Coffee Stain Effect Drives the Fabrication of Carbon-Nanotube-Graphene-Oxide Inks for Printing Embedded Structures and Temperature Sensors.” Nanoscale, 11, 23402–23415 (2019)
- Y. Gu#, D. Park, S. Gonya, J. Jendrisak, S. Das*, and D. R. Hines*, “Direct-write Printed Broadband Inductors.” Additive Manufacturing, 30, 100843 (2019).
- N. Dalal#, Y. Gu#, D. R. Hines, A. Dasgupta, and S. Das*, “Cracks in the 3D-Printed Conductive Traces of Silver Nanoparticle Ink.” Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 29, 097001 (2019).
- Y. Gu#, D. Park, D. Bowen, S. Das*, D. R. Hines*, “Direct Write Printed, Solid-Core Solenoid Inductors with Commercially Relevant Inductances.” Advanced Materials Technologies, 4, 1800312 (2019).
- G. Chen#, Y. Gu#, H. Tsang, D. R. Hines, and S. Das*, “The Effect of Droplet Sizes on Overspray in Aerosol-Jet Printing.” Advanced Engineering Materials, 20, 1701084 (2018). (Selected as the Back Cover Article of the August 2018 issue of the journal).
- Y. Gu#, D. R. Hines*, V. Yun, M. Antoniak, and S. Das*, “Aerosol-Jet Printed Fillets for Well-Formed Electrical Connections Between Different Leveled Surfaces.” Advanced Materials Technologies, 2, 1700178 (2017).
- Y. Gu#, D. Gutierrez, S. Das*, and D. Hines*, “Inkwells for On-Demand Deposition Rate Measurement in Aerosol-Jet Based 3D Printing.” Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 27, 097001 (2017).